Monday, December 11, 2006

One Sour Note


A Christmas party is not an open invitation to consume copious amounts of alcohol and pass out. Well, I did not get that memo, did you?

Passing out and vomitting in the car did not shock me. What shocked me was the crying! I mean, I was really really crying.

A reliable source, my fiance, told me apparently I was crying uncontrollably for about one hour.

The alcohol was not the culprit, just the catalyst. The culprit was the Malaysian singer Guang Liang's "Fairy Tale" song. This song is precisely the reason why I avoid listening to Mandarin music. The MTV video is depressing, typical of Chinese music and movies. After the first brilliantly composed piano chord, I was a mess. In the haze of drunkeness, I decided to put the song on repeat.

This is the part that draws out the waterworks:

"You said to me with full of tears, inside the fairytale are all lies".

Please do psychoanalyze me. I am an emotion suppressor. It takes a bit of alcohol and one sour note, and years of suppression comes out all at once. It happens once every few years, but once I have had a good cry, I move on by supressing some more. I am unable to express any real emotions without alcohol. This is simply not healthy.

For the record, my take on love fairytales is that they are all lies. It's a combination of two idealists, unattainable romance, overcoming obstacles, and happily ever after. Except, what exactly is happily after anyhow?.