Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Professional Development Plan

This morning at a work meeting, the subject of completing a professional/personal development plan came up. A few months ago, all the employees completed a survey administered by an independent third party regarding employee satisfaction. The scores were low from professional development type questions.

So, after several meetings with the board of directors and other human resources, each faculty decided to tackle this program in its own way, and my faculty came up with the solution of completing a professional development plan. While it is not mandatory, it is a great idea for people who want to put their goals on paper.

I really liked this idea, because I love putting things down on paper (or computer). This way, I will be accountable for it and will not forget. It also helps me to really re-examine my life and find out what I need to accomplish. I have already posted my financial goals here. Since I have to work on my professional development plan anyhow, I might as well start gathering my thoughts here.

3 Months Goals (by May 7)

  • - Register for the online Dreamweaver course at BCIT and apply for union funds to cover the cost.
  • - Research and decide on a post graduate or Masters program
  • - Acquire Advanced Open Water Diver (Drysuit) Certificate
  • - Go to an Orthodox Christian church at least twice and get information on its beliefs
6 Months Goals
  • - Join 2 work related committees
  • - Apply for a post graduate or Masters program
  • - Acquire Emergency First Repsonse Certificate
  • - Register for another on-line webmaster course

1 Year Goals
  • - Be registered in a post graduate/Masters program
  • - Complete 50% of the requirement of the webmaster associate program
  • - Complete 80%-100% of the PADI Divemaster program
  • - Join North Vancouver Mountain Bike Club, and ride or get out there at least 2 times a month